It’s not a conversation until both sides are engaged.
The best way to start a Skype conversation is to message something like “are you free?” If you get a response then we’re all set. In a perfect world a Skype session would only be scheduled ahead of time.
Here are some tips for a smooth Skype conversation:
– test your set up before the call
– ask first before you just call (send a note)
– don’t assume confidentiality
– check what is showing BEHIND you on the camera
– adjust the camera so we aren’t looking UP your nose or DOWN your blouse
– remember there is a delay
– try to keep eye contact (versus watching yourself on camera)
– be aware of your body language
– watch the volume
– and don’t over multitask during the call (keystrokes make noise)
– remember to smile 🙂